Wednesday, 8 April 2009

Book review: F# for Scientists

Mike Hadlow, a freelance .NET developer from Brighton England, recently wrote a review of our book F# for Scientists:

"I read most of F# for Scientists by Dr Jon Harrop over the Christmas holidays. Now, don’t be put of by the title, it’s a really wonderful little book. I’m no scientist, my undergraduate degree was a general social science pick and mix affair, but I found most of it straightforward. I had to skip some of the complex mathematics but that didn’t seem to hurt my appreciation of programming principles being discussed.

It’s really nice to find a small programming book. Far too many assume too little intelligence from the reader and waffle at length on trivial subjects. It doesn’t help that the IT profession seems to value its books by the killogram. Dr Harrop doesn’t suffer from either of these traits and is happy to introduce difficult subjects in a concise and direct style. Now that means that I sometimes had to spend a while on each page to make sure I understood it, but that’s far better than reading page after page of whatever for dummies.

If I’ve taken anything from this book, it’s a much better understanding of currying. I talked about it a while back when discussing an excellent presentation of functional C# by Oliver Sturm, but at that time I hadn’t understood how central it was to understanding F#..."

Thanks Mike!

Don't forget we are drawing upon the expertise we gained from the feedback about F# for Scientists in our forthcoming book F# for Technical Computing that will cover all of the latest libraries including parallel and concurrent programming the F# way.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am big fan of your F# for scientist. I had the same feeling when I went to pick up the book. But it was without doubt one of the good book I have read on F#. I am really looking forward for the next book.
Nair

Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd. said...

Thanks Nair!

Mike Hadlow said...

I only just saw this :) Glad you liked the review.